Students will understand the importance of recycling and composting in waste management, and be able to create an animated gif using Brush Ninja to demonstrate their knowledge.
- Computers or tablets with internet access
- Brush Ninja website
- Worksheets or handouts on recycling and composting
- Begin the lesson by engaging students in a discussion about waste management.
- Ask questions such as: What happens to our trash after we throw it away? Why is it important to recycle? What is composting?
- Share some interesting facts about recycling and composting to generate interest.
- Distribute worksheets or handouts on recycling and composting.
- Review the key concepts and benefits of each process with the students.
- Give examples of common recyclable materials and explain how they are recycled.
- Explain what can be composted, the process of decomposition, and the benefits of using compost.
- Introduce Brush Ninja as a tool for creating animated gifs.
- Show students how to access the website on their devices.
- Briefly explain the different features available in Brush Ninja, such as drawing tools, colors, layers, etc.
- Divide students into pairs or small groups.
- Instruct them to use their knowledge about recycling or composting to create an animated gif using Brush Ninja.
They should aim to illustrate a specific concept related to waste management through their animation. For example, they could show how recyclable materials are sorted at a recycling facility or demonstrate the process of decomposition in a compost bin.
Encourage creativity while ensuring that the animation accurately represents the chosen concept. Remind students to include captions or labels in their animations to provide explanations.
- Have each group present their animated gif to the class.
- After each presentation, ask other students to provide feedback and identify the key concept being illustrated.
- Evaluate the accuracy and clarity of the animated gifs in conveying information about recycling and composting.
To extend learning, have students create a short written reflection on what they learned from this activity.
They should discuss why recycling and composting are important for our environment, as well as any challenges they faced while creating their animated gifs.
Encourage students to share their animated gifs with family members or on a classroom website/blog to spread awareness about waste management.
More Environment Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
These second graders showed of their tech and creativity skills by using Brush Ninja to make the trees for each season.Tweeted by Coach Raonaq
One of our future Digital Leaders staged a takeover last week in the Digital Learning classroom. After polling the learners via @GoogleForEdu Forms, he delivered an excellent lesson on #BrushNinja. @DigiSchoolsERCTweeted by Mearns Primary & Nursery
I am a huge fan of #BrushNinja! It was the perfect tool for having my Ss show me what they know about some of the famous scientists in biology. Their Mendels were pretty awesome!Tweeted by Christy Scofield
Math Teachers on the Dance Floor be like…..Tweeted by Mrs. McLean
Check it out @Tommyspall. @RambelleTeacher and Mrs. Dyer getting ready to use Brush Ninja next week.Tweeted by Michael Ogg
Brush ninja fun! Introduced kids to this gif maker. They were creative and had fun. Thanks @TechCoachRobles for the lesson.Tweeted by Pam