Students will understand the concept of food systems and sustainability by creating animated gifs using Brush Ninja to showcase different aspects of a sustainable food system.
- Computers or tablets with internet access for each student or group
- Access to Brush Ninja
- Paper and pencils for brainstorming ideas
- Begin by asking students what they know about where their food comes from.
- Discuss the concept of a food system and explain that it includes all the steps involved in producing, processing, distributing, and consuming food.
- Introduce the idea of sustainable food systems, which are designed to minimize negative impacts on the environment while also providing healthy and accessible food for everyone.
- Have students work individually or in small groups to brainstorm different aspects of a sustainable food system.
- Encourage them to think about topics such as organic farming, locally sourced produce, reducing waste, composting, urban gardening, etc.
- Provide paper and pencils for students to write down their ideas.
Animated Gif Creation using Brush Ninja
- Instruct students to open Brush Ninja on their computers or tablets.
- Demonstrate how to use the tool by creating a simple animated gif related to one aspect of a sustainable food system.
- Show students how to add frames, draw objects using different colors and shapes available in Brush Ninja’s library, and create simple animations by moving objects across frames.
- Allow students time to create their own animated gifs based on their brainstormed ideas.
Presentation and Discussion
- Have each student or group present their animated gif creations to the class.
- As each animation is shown, ask the creator(s) to explain which aspect of a sustainable food system it represents and why they chose that particular idea.
- Facilitate a class discussion about the importance of sustainable food systems and how these ideas can be implemented in everyday life.
- Observe students’ engagement and participation during the brainstorming session.
- Evaluate the creativity and understanding displayed in their animated gif creations.
- Assess students’ ability to explain the connection between their animated gifs and sustainable food systems during the presentation and discussion.
- Encourage students to create additional animated gifs at home using Brush Ninja to explore other aspects of sustainable food systems or related topics, such as biodiversity, renewable energy, or waste reduction.
- Have students research real-world examples of sustainable food systems and write short reports or create presentations showcasing their findings.
- Discuss with students how they can apply the concepts of sustainability to their own eating habits and encourage them to make small changes towards more sustainable choices.
More Environment Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
We read and compared Three Billy Goats Gruff and Three Billy Goats Buenos then used Brush Ninja to illustrate the differences.Tweeted by MBE Library
I learned about https://brush.ninja from @tonyvincent. It’s free. There’s no sign in. The site saves your last project. Check out the gif I made for an algebra concept. How could you use this tool to help students show what they know?Tweeted by Estee Williams
An example of how Brush Ninja can be used by students to animate their science vocabulary!Tweeted by Kathryn Hofmann
The Gr 3s @Ocean_View_Elem 💕💕💕 learning about Brush Ninja this morning for animating poetry, stories and more!Tweeted by Chris Cocek
We were wrapping up our pizza unit last week and tried making our own GIF’s using #BrushNinja! Loved seeing the students creativity!Tweeted by Mme Allen