Students will learn about the importance of mental well-being in a digital age and develop skills to promote their own mental well-being. They will also learn how to use Brush Ninja to create animated gifs as a creative outlet for self-expression.
- Computers or tablets with internet access
- Projector or smartboard for whole-class instruction
- Paper and coloring materials (optional)
- Brush Ninja website
- Begin by discussing the concept of mental well-being with students. Ask them what they think it means to have good mental health and why it is important.
- Explain that in today’s digital age, where technology is an integral part of our lives, it is essential to be mindful of our mental well-being and adopt healthy digital habits.
- Show students examples of animated gifs created using Brush Ninja and explain that we will be using this tool to express ourselves creatively while promoting our mental well-being.
Exploring Mental Well-being
- Facilitate a class discussion on the potential impact of excessive screen time, social media, cyberbullying, and online safety on mental health.
- Discuss strategies for maintaining good mental health in a digital age, such as setting boundaries for screen time, engaging in offline activities, practicing mindfulness, being kind online, and seeking support from trusted adults.
Using Brush Ninja
- Provide step-by-step instructions on how to access Brush Ninja on the computers or tablets.
- Demonstrate how to navigate through the interface and explain the basic features available.
- Encourage students to experiment with different tools, colors, shapes, and movements to create their own animated gifs related to promoting positive mental well-being.
- Remind students that they can use characters or symbols that represent emotions or activities that make them feel happy, relaxed, or motivated.
Sharing and Reflecting
- Allow students to share their animated gifs with the class. Create a positive and supportive environment for feedback.
- Facilitate a brief reflection discussion on how creating animated gifs can be a form of self-expression and contribute to mental well-being.
- Ask students to reflect on their own experience using Brush Ninja and how they felt during the process. Did it help them express themselves? Did it make them feel better or more creative?
- Observe student engagement during class discussions and while using Brush Ninja.
- Assess student understanding through their participation in class discussions and reflections.
- Evaluate the creativity, thoughtfulness, and effort put into their animated gifs.
- Encourage students to continue exploring Brush Ninja independently or with family members at home.
- Have students create a short presentation showcasing their animated gifs along with an explanation of why each gif promotes mental well-being. They can present this to other grade levels or the school community as part of mental health awareness initiatives.
More Environment Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
Don’t you just love it when your Ss don’t want to go to lunch 😁 Their challenge - use @brushninja to show someone who has taken action, in a way that explains an action they have taken Can you guess who they are?Tweeted by Donna Golightly
All of the kids want a robot to clean their roomsTweeted by Pamela Reece
#BrushNinja can be used for more than animations. Comics were created by 4th grade last weekTweeted by Pamela Reece
2nd Grade STEM learned how to create their own stop animation of a ball bouncing and learned how to use a mouse!Tweeted by Kellie Aranowski