Students will understand the importance of water conservation and management. Students will create an animated gif using Brush Ninja to illustrate their knowledge about water conservation.
- Projector or smartboard
- Internet access for accessing Brush Ninja
- Paper and pencils for brainstorming ideas
- Art supplies for creating illustrations (optional)
- Begin by discussing with the students the importance of water in our daily lives, such as drinking, cooking, cleaning, and recreation.
- Explain that water is a limited resource and we need to conserve it to ensure its availability for future generations.
- Show some examples of animated gifs related to water conservation and management using Brush Ninja.
- Engage students in a discussion about what they notice in the animations and how they convey important messages about saving water.
- Distribute paper and pencils to each student.
- Ask students to brainstorm ideas on ways they can conserve and manage water at home, school, or in their community.
- Encourage them to think creatively about different scenarios where water conservation is important (e.g., watering plants efficiently, taking shorter showers).
- Allow students time to draw or write down their ideas.
Creating Animated Gifs
- Provide instructions on how to access Brush Ninja online or demonstrate it on the projector/smartboard.
- Guide students through the process of creating an animated gif that illustrates one of their ideas from the brainstorming session.
- They can use the drawing tools available in Brush Ninja or create their illustrations on paper and scan/upload them into the tool.
- Remind students to focus on conveying a clear message about water conservation through simple animations.
Sharing and Discussion
- Invite volunteers to share their completed animated gifs with the class.
- As each student shares their gif, encourage classmates to provide positive feedback and ask questions about the message conveyed.
- Facilitate a discussion about the various ways students demonstrated water conservation through their animations.
- Use an assessment rubric to evaluate students’ understanding of water conservation and their ability to create meaningful animated gifs using Brush Ninja.
- Assess students based on creativity, clarity of message, use of appropriate illustrations, and overall presentation.
- Encourage students to share their animated gifs with friends and family members via email or social media platforms, spreading awareness about water conservation beyond the classroom.
- Have students research additional methods for conserving water and create a poster or infographic highlighting those strategies. They can also use Brush Ninja to animate some elements in their designs.
More Environment Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
Brush ninja fun! Introduced kids to this gif maker. They were creative and had fun. Thanks @TechCoachRobles for the lesson.Tweeted by Pam
4th graders at @HarvieElem have been showcasing their knowledge on the different phases of the moon by creating GIF animations using Brush Ninja! 🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔Tweeted by Ms. Raymond
🎨 For Digital Learning Day at @Trevvett_Elem, Ms. Lang’s Kindergarteners created animated CVC words using Brush Ninja! 🎨Tweeted by Jessica Sop