Students will be able to understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem to solve problems using Brush Ninja.
- Computers or tablets with internet access
- Brush Ninja animated gif maker
- Whiteboards and markers
- Introduce the Pythagorean Theorem by explaining that it is a mathematical formula used to find the length of one side of a right triangle when the lengths of the other two sides are known.
- Draw a right triangle on the whiteboard and label its sides as ‘a’, ‘b’, and ‘c’ (with ‘c’ being the longest side, also called hypotenuse).
- Explain that according to the Pythagorean Theorem,
c² = a² + b².
- Demonstrate how to use this formula by solving an example problem on the whiteboard.
- Have students work in pairs or small groups to create an animated gif using Brush Ninja that shows how they would use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of one side of a right triangle.
- After creating their animations, have each group share their gif with the class.
- As a class, discuss any common misconceptions or errors made during the activity.
Assess students based on their understanding of how to apply the Pythagorean Theorem correctly in both written form (their explanations) and visual form (their animations).
For more advanced students, challenge them to create more complex animated gifs that involve multiple triangles or non-right triangles where they must use trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent instead of just using Pythagoras theorem.
More Math Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
Learning how to make some more GIFS from @brushninja - they had so much fun today- great way to practice making sentences. #writingisfun 😃😆🇫🇷Tweeted by Penny Hensler
Mrs. Benoit. All of my 7th graders in science are creating Brush Ninja GIFs to show their knowledge about organismal and symbiotic relationships! Thanks to Mr. Robidoux for joining the classes to help our students!Tweeted by Mrs. Benoit
Me: Are you making something about water?
S: It’s precipitation
Me: bested by a 4th grader again
Look at this wonderful creativity from Room 9, who loved using Brush Ninja today!! Mrs Ross was so impressed, she just had to share!!Tweeted by LanarkPrimarySchool&ELC