Students will be able to understand and identify fractions and decimals while creating animated gifs using Brush Ninja.
- Computers or tablets with internet access
- Brush Ninja website
- Whiteboard and markers
- Fraction manipulatives (optional)
- Introduce the concept of fractions and decimals by drawing examples on the whiteboard.
- Ask students to brainstorm ideas for an animated gif that involves fractions or decimals, such as a pizza being divided into slices or a number line showing fractions and decimals.
- Demonstrate how to use Brush Ninja by creating a simple animation, such as a pizza being eaten slice by slice.
- Have students work in pairs or individually to create their own animations using Brush Ninja, incorporating what they have learned about fractions and decimals.
- As students work, circulate around the room to provide assistance and guidance as needed.
- After completion, have students share their animations with the class.
- Review key concepts of fractions and decimals by asking students questions about their animations.
Assessment will be ongoing throughout the lesson through observation of student participation in discussions, creation of their animation using Brush Ninja, and ability to explain their understanding of fractions and decimals.
For advanced learners, challenge them to create more complex animations involving operations with fractions and decimals such as adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing these numbers. They can also try incorporating other math concepts like percentages into their animations for extra practice.
More Math Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
Check out these cool animations from Room 7b. They have been learning about conservation and decided to use some Brush Ninja to show off their skills.Tweeted by Mrs Gray
🎨 For Digital Learning Day at @Trevvett_Elem, Ms. Lang’s Kindergarteners created animated CVC words using Brush Ninja! 🎨Tweeted by Jessica Sop
Ms. Lenzi’s class enjoyed learning about living and nonliving things using Brush Ninja for digital learning day. Check out some of their art work!Tweeted by Baker Tigers
On Friday, students created an animated gif depicting an element of feudalism of their choice. They loved using @BinaryMoon‘s awesome https://Brush.Ninja application.Tweeted by Sara McConnel
Technology took over the Learning Centre today! Students became the teachers! They helped their friends learn how to use Osmos, Brush Ninja, Dash and the popular Beebots! Practicing social skills lessons on turn taking and compromising!Tweeted by Jennifer Funke