Students will be able to explain the concept of natural selection and how it leads to the evolution of species.
- Computers or tablets with internet access for each student or group.
- Brush Ninja animated gif maker
- Writing materials for note-taking.
- Begin by asking students if they have ever noticed similarities and differences among animals, such as different bird beaks or fur color in mammals.
- Explain that these differences are a result of natural selection, which is a process that allows certain traits to become more common in a population over time because they help individuals survive and reproduce.
- Show a video on natural selection and evolution.
- Divide students into small groups and have them discuss what they learned from the video.
- Instruct students to create an animated gif using Brush Ninja that illustrates natural selection in action. For example, they could show a predator catching its prey or two animals with different traits competing for resources.
- Encourage students to use their creativity and imagination while also accurately depicting the concepts of natural selection and evolution.
- Have each group present their animated gif to the class, explaining how it demonstrates natural selection.
Assess each student’s understanding of natural selection through their participation in group discussion and creation of an accurate animated gif illustration.
Students can continue exploring evolutionary concepts by researching specific examples of natural selection, such as Darwin’s finches or the peppered moth during the Industrial Revolution.
More Science Lessons
Examples of Brush Ninja in Education
Day 7 of our Digital Advent Calendar and we have a Christmas themed gif. This animation was made using BrushNinja by one of our Primary 6 Digital Leaders. Why not give it a go at https://brush.ninjaTweeted by Mearns Primary & Nursery
Mrs. Benoit. All of my 7th graders in science are creating Brush Ninja GIFs to show their knowledge about organismal and symbiotic relationships! Thanks to Mr. Robidoux for joining the classes to help our students!Tweeted by Mrs. Benoit
We were busy bees in 2nd grade today! 2A celebrated Eid thanks to Seyd and Ariana, created landforms, and used Brush Ninja with Mrs. Murphy. 🌙🏔️🎨Tweeted by Amanda Adamonis
Grade 8 PE students using the app #BrushNinja to show what a healthy lifestyle looks like to them! Fun app that can be used in any subject!Tweeted by Derek Norris
I smell a physics activity taking off here.Tweeted by Dale Basler